The division of Fetal Medicine provides care for pregnant women and their fetuses. This division is part of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the Erasmus Medical Center. We are a tertiary referral center for obstetric and prenatal care in a region with about 20.000 deliveries per annum.
Fetal Medicine and Care at Erasmus MC
We are dedicated to providing the very best of care for future parents and their unborn babies.
We work close together with geneticists and pediatric specialists. In case of a fetal (structural) congenital cardiac malformation, for example, we scan and counsel pregnant women and their partners together with the pediatric cardiologist to inform the future parents about the anomaly and what it means for a child. We discuss our patient-fetuses on a weekly basis during neuro-expertise meetings with clinical geneticists, pediatric surgeons, neonatologists and other pediatric specialists. We do this in order to guarantee the continuity between life in and outside the mother’s womb.
- Consultation for pregnant women and their partner with a possible higher risk on congenital or genetic anomalies of the fetus due to, for example, family or medical history.
- Prenatal diagnostics to pregnant women with an increased risk of having children or pregnancies with:
- Chromosomal abnormalities;
- Genetic or metabolic diseases;
- Structural anomalies such as spina bifida or congenital heart disease;
- Growth restriction or other abnormalities as observed by prenatal screening or on ultrasound abnormal placenta or insufficient amniotic fluid.
Which diagnostic tests?
Upon medically justifiable indication, the physicians at the division of fetal medicine may conduct amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling (CVS), laboratory services and advanced ultrasound (GUO).
Specialized fetal ultrasound scanning is an important part of prenatal diagnostics. This procedure pertains to the examination of the fetus(es) in order to determine whether the fetus has or will have certain abnormalities or diseases. Our ultrasound scans are performed at the highest standard and are backed with informative and sensitive counseling.
The departments of Clinical Genetics and Biomics conduct Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and Whole Exome Sequencing (WES).
More about Fetal Medicine and Care at Erasmus MC
The Erasmus MC is the largest tertiary care and academic hospital in the Netherlands. Our hospital can proudly offer the services of highly specialized medical professionals for the treatment of complex and rare diseases.
Our Medical Expertise
Our physicians have been trained in advanced ultrasound scanning, invasive procedures and fetal medicine. We work with a team of physicians, dedicated midwives and medical assistants. Our treatment protocols have been validated and are regularly updated according to new evidence, institutional experiences and through continuously on-going research.
Affiliated Departments and Expertise Centers
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Clinical Genetics
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI)
- Rare Diseases Expertise Centers